Thursday, July 8, 2010

McCalls 5388

Remember back at Easter when I made my dress and then had this epiphany that with my akward proportions, I should really start making my own clothes more often?
Well, 4 months later, I made a shirt.
the front:
Close up of the front pleats:
Hanging (sorry it's so bright- my camera was majorly acting up- that's also why the first pic is so out-of-focus!):
It's McCall's 5388 which I had seen Rae make a few times and I thought I'd give it a shot!

Here are a few things I did differently:
  • I did pleats instead of ruffles. I thought it would be easier but it wasn't really because then I had to worry about everything lining up just so. I still like the look of it, though- especially with this fabric!
  • I made version D without sleeves (used version C's directions at the end)

Things I will do differently next time:

  • I accidentally put the bias tape in the arm holes too close to the edge, thus making the armholes a smidgen snug once they were finished. I'll know better next time.
  • Another bias-tape-booboo: this was the first time I had used bias tape, so I knew I'd mess up SOMETHING! :) I didn't follow the directions when they told me to "baste then sew"- I figured I could just go slow and sew the first time around. WRONG. By basting first, you can then sew on the right side of the fabric along your basting stitch and get the stitches exactly where you need them- not too close to have the bias tape flapping around (which is what I did on the back) but not so far from the edge that you stitch past the bias tape completely (which is what I did on the sleeves). Live and learn, people.
  • Take an inch out of the yoke- apparently this pattern is known for being wide in the yoke, but I figured I'm a bigger girl, it might not hurt to leave it be. I was wrong- it goes almost to the edge of my shoulders!
  • Add an inch of width in the back. The front is loose and lovely, but the back is sort of... boxy. It felt snug in the back, but loose in the front (which is the opposite of my usual problem with tops! haha)

Over all I thought this pattern was great- there were a few things I had to read over a couple of times to make sure I knew what I was doing, and a few words that I wasn't familiar with and had to google (like "understitching"- which was so easy once I saw a few pics- and "slipstitch"- why didn't you just say blind hem?). I've already bought the fabric to make this again- I always need a nice plain white summer top to wear with skirts and pants and this seems like the perfect pattern for that! I bought the poplin and bias tape yesterday, so now I just need the time!

2 comments:

lar1203 said...

you did a great job- i love it. and i adore the fabric. i almost bought it the other day!

This Life said...

I love it! Where did you find that pattern?