Sunday, January 23, 2011

my newest toy

Dana over on Made had a giveaway this week for a Silhouette SD cutter. Like Dana, I didn't think I wanted one, since I SUCK BIGTIME at scrapbooking, but once she showed (and I started googling) all the things OTHER than paper that this baby can cut, I knew I wanted one. Lucky for me, my sweet sweet husband told me I could go ahead and get it as a "going back to work" present (yeah... our family just comes up with random reasons for presents, so sue us).

It still seemed like a lot of $$ for something I only wanted and didn't need, so I decided that I would get it if I could come up with 10 things off the top of my head that I would use it for. So here they are, in case you're curious (oh, and it will hold me accountable to do at least a few of them ASAP!)
  1. vinyl decals for Joe's banjo case (ok so that one was his idea- whatevs, still counts.)
  2. vinyl conversion chart for the inside of a kitchen cabinet (I am ALWAYS googling these!)
  3. freezer paper stencilling
  4. decorate onesies for upcoming baby showers with iron-on vinyl (like this) AND a funny banjo shirt for Joe ("banjos... definitely not square!")
  5. some sort of SC state art (like this)
  6. some sort of cool "Gamecocks" decal for the back window of the jeep
  7. an actual framed silhouette of Noah's sweet baby head
  8. class room decorations for the windows/doors with vinyl (I'm imagining a really cool "name plate" type deal on my office door)
  9. two words: etched and glass. I forsee cool wedding gifts in this category!
  10. making (rather than buying!) cards for birthdays, weddings, etc. with all the pretty paper I have from when I *thought* I would be good at scrapbooking!

So, I had ten things on the list, so obviously I hit "buy". The silhouette and approx 8 rolls of vinyl (I know, things got out of hand for a minute there over at expressionsvinyl.com) are on their way to my doorstep!

I really like that I don't always have to cut on vinyl. The thing will cut contact paper (for glass etching), freezer paper (for stencilling), paper for scrapbooking (I mean, maybe one day I'll finish our wedding scrapbook?), even FABRIC! (although I can only see myself using it for little bitty things, not for big projects like quilts and stuff- for that I go to my trusty other toy- the Accuquilt Go! cutter!)

Whew. So that was my online shopping experience for the night. Hope everyone has had a great Saturday (we saw the Steep Canyon Rangers tonight! Yay!) and have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

lar1203 said...

sahweet! can't wait to see all of your new projects!