Monday, May 16, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival

(or "Didn't She Just Write This Post?")

Amy's Creative Side

Amy's Creative Side is once again hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival and I'm entering Noah's Doggy Park Quilt in it! So, I'm sorry that this is basically a repeat of my excited post a couple weeks ago when I just finished it!
This is the first quilt I have made for my son, Noah. I've only been quilting about a year, and have managed to make multiple baby quilts, a twin sized quilt and tons of table toppers/runners, yet nothing for my boy! This quilt is a modified Hexigon park, the sashing is Kona white, the back is brown minky (drool...) and I bound it (binded it?) with Robert Kauffman's quilter's linen in chocolate which is so lovely.
I quilted it 1/4" inside each white sashing strip and through each hexigon which made an awesome argyle-ish effect (which is super cute on the back). The finished quilt is about 50" x 60"- perfect for Noah to sleep with or for me to steal and snuggle with on the couch.
Just sayin'....


mmm... chocolate (Homer Simpson voice)
early morning pictures before school = akward shadows, sorry.


Here's the label and a peek at the snuggly back.

This quilt is so special to me because it's for Noah. I know that sounds cliche, but there's a reason- the whole time I was cutting, sewing, quilting and binding it, I was thinking about and praying for Noah (ok, so I was watching a movie while I was binding it, but still, the little Beans was on my mind!). I know most of us pray for our children on a regular basis, but once you get past the intial "please watch over him, protect him, help him to grow in Your word", etc. you start really thinking about his future. At one point I found myself praying for his education and future wife- someone who may not even be born yet! My parents have always told my brothers and I that they have prayed for our spouses since birth, but it's weird when you actually do it for your own baby!

As far as sewing/quilting go, I learned that minky isn't nearly as hard to deal with as I thought. I had ZERO puckering on the back and only a couple tucks on the front (but I blame that on taking the pins out after I quilted all the left-to-right diagonals- I probably should have left them in until I came to them quilting right-to left). Also, I learned that hexagons (especially half-hexagons) aren't scary at all! I also learned that I am in love with quilter's linen. It's so pretty!

That's about it! If you're stopping by from the BQF, thanks for dropping in!

17 comments:

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

wasn't this a fun quilt to make. Mine is at the quilter's right now. Your son will love it.

Dara said...

This is so cool, where did you get the pattern. I love hexagons.

Allison said...

You're inspiring me to go put a label on the quilt I just made for my daughter. I feel like thinking about/praying for your kids while you make them a quilt is half the fun...Makes the quilt so much more meaningful than those you make for others.

Brittney said...

Cute quilt! The label is so sweet, I'm sure your son will love this quilt for many, many years!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

so fun! I love it!

Andrea said...

the hexagons quilt is very nice for baby

Fabric Warrior (aka Amie) said...

That is a beautiful pattern, and I love the fabrics you chose. It is so cute. I love it! : )

Quiltbenaco said...

E'stupenda,
tuo figlio l'amerĂ  sempre.
Ciao

KendasCrafts said...

great job! I too, have a soft spot for the quilts I make for my son. :-)

jac. said...

I love how you quilted your quilt! I wouldn't of thought of that.

stitchinpenny said...

Wonderful quilt.

PersimonDreams said...

LOVE this quilt :) This is the first one that caught my eye of the 500+ quilts in the Blogger Quilt Festival so I had to come and read more about it. Great job!

Linz said...

This is so beautiful!! What a sweet story too! It is so special to make a quilt for someone you love. Thank you for your insites on prayer. I haven't even thought of praying for my children's future spouses, but you better believe I'm going to start! :) Thank you for sharing this darling quilt!!

Holly said...

I have probably said this before but I am so jealous of your mad quilting skills!

Carla said...

I love this quilt! Especially the white sashing around the hexagons. I have to learn how to do that. I'm sure your son loves this special quilt. Enjoy the naps!

Karen said...

This is a great quilt for your son. I love the colours and the design you chose.

Katie B said...

Really sweet! I hope he shares it with you. :)